Thursday, January 26, 2006

Third World

I'm not feeling well, and the game last night didn't help things. After leading for almost the whole game, the Blazers allowed Greg Bukner of all people to push the Nuggets to a 97-94 win at the Garden last night. Is it just me, or do the Blazers almost always get pummeled in the third quarter of games, especially the games they lose? Last night, they got outscored 24 to 15 in the third. That's weak. In the loss to Dallas on Sunday, they got outscored 26 to 19 in the third. Double weak. In the loss to Miami on the 8th, they got outscored 34 to 20, not that the win was ever in doubt for the Heat in that one. Something about that third quarter. After doing a little number crunching, I've found that I'm not crazy. So far this year, the Blazers have scored 938 points in the first quarter, 922 in the second quarter, 803 in the third, and 855 in the fourth. That's a pretty big drop off coming out of halftime. And on top of that, of the 40 games played this year, the Blazers have been outscored in the third quarter 24 times. Finally, the Blazers have scored their lowest point total of the game during the third quarter in 35% of their games this year. Can't the trainer give the team a B-12 shot during the halftime pep talk or something?

In the not-so-old days, I would have attributed it to some of the guys doing bong rips during halftime, but I'm pretty sure Nate doesn't fall for the "it helps my glaucoma" line like Mo Cheeks did.

3 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Anonymous jammin said...

I don't see the third quarter drop-off as being such a surprise. First quarter they're fresh and energetic, second quarter they're starting to find their groove. Then the half-time break, they cool down, then have to get back into it with less energy than the first. The fourth quarter of course they're energized because it's nearing the end of the game. I'd like to see some other teams' stats relating to the third quarter (and not just elite teams like Detroit or San Antonio).

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Lance Uppercut said...

I would too jammin. I had to tabulate these numbers myself, and I'm certainly not going to do it for other teams, though I'm sure this info exists already somewhere on the net.
I guess what you're saying makes sense, but if what you say is true, then it's a mental thing in the third quarter. Mental things can be fixed. I think if nothing else, the first and third quarter numbers should be a lot closer.

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous jammin said...

Tonight (@ sonics) was interesting.

1st quarter: -1
2nd quarter: +2
3rd quarter: +1
4th quarter: +3

...I know it's stupid to base anything on one game so I won't. But very consistent. Maybe the "mental thing" of trying to win it for Nate was what it took. Maybe.

BTW, do you have the big bird flu? sorry, bad joke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home